A Beautiful Heritage
- Sheet, blanket or large piece of fabric
- Drape a piece of cloth or sheet on your shoulders (or on a child’s shoulders).
- Explain to the children that the prophet Elijah was wearing a cloak. We don’t know exactly what it looked like, but it was apparently a coat of fabric. After his ministry, Elijah transferred his coat to Elisha (a bit like an inheritance).
- Ask them, “Would you like to have the same legacy that Elisha had?”
- Tell the children that Elisha also received a double portion of Elijah’s spirit. And ask them, “Imagine if you get double what your parents have?”
1 Kings 19:19
So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him.
2 Kings 2:9
When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?” “Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied.